There Are Places I Remember

Places

Arlington, Keller, Bedford, Odessa and Denton used to be nothing more than just names of places I had seen on a map or driven through once or twice.

They didn’t hold any particular significance to me in large part because I didn’t have any thing of importance to associate them with, but things change and memories are created alongside moments.

I haven’t been here long enough yet to have determined exactly where I want to plant my roots which is in large part why I have spent ample amounts of time driving around to see the sights.

The people are friendly and more than willing to offer an opinion on where they think the best places to live are and why. More than a few have shared their thoughts and I am grateful for it.

A Million Little Details

Sometimes it feels like there are a million little details to cover. I haven’t had a chance to visit a dentist yet to fix the crown and I haven’t a clue where a hospital is. Fortunately I am not in need of one, but if I was I realize I am not exactly sure where one is or which is considered to be the best.

Two nights ago I cooked up a couple of chicken burgers for dinner and realized I didn’t own much of the way in condiments. There was some salt, pepper and two packs of sugar but no ketchup or mustard.

The majority of my furniture is still in storage and I haven’t figured out yet whether it makes sense to ship it over or to sell it and buy some new pieces. It is kind of exciting and a bit nerve wracking all at the same time.

Where The Wild Things Are

A few minutes into my shower it occurred to me that I feel a little bit like Max, from “Where The Wild Things Are,” except I haven’t declared the start of the wild rumpus yet.

So I made a mental note to do so soon, but not yet–got too much work to do before that happens.

I won’t tell you how old it made me feel to realize that I was trying to schedule a wild rumpus because that goes against all of the rules of throwing “rumpi.” Everyone knows one of the key ingredients of a great wild rumpus is spontaneity.

Fortunately I compromised and agreed not to schedule a “rumpus” knowing that it would be much more fun to let it happen in a natural way. And in case you are wonderingย  made sure to have this debate in the shower as well, because doing so in public might have made some people nervous.

In my experience the only time to have an argument with yourself in public is while riding public transportation when you are in need of a seat. Act crazy out there and you just might find that aforementioned seat and maybe even a little room to put your stuff down.

On a Serious Note

Anyway, on a serious note the move has reminded me that although I do enjoy walking on the razor’s edge I also enjoy routine and familiarity. A change like this is a disruptive force that brings some chaos into things but also opportunity.

The big question is how to maximize the creation of opportunity while minimizing the influence of chaos. Thus far my method has been to try and take things one day at a time and not get too crazy about little things like missing condiments.

If nothing else I figure this time should provide plenty of fodder for stories and that is something I never grow tired of.

Don’t Miss A Single Post!

Comments

1. says

Hi Josh,
    I know what you mean about the disruption moving creates. I moved from the burbs into the country over 4 years ago and it probably took me about 2 years before it felt like home to me. Change is challenging but also rewarding.

2. says

Hey Josh,

Welcome to Texas, where did you end up settling? I’m in Houston so you’re nowhere close to me I’m assuming. We don’t have winters where I am thank goodness. Another reason I never moved.

I remember a long time ago someone asked Diane Keaton what she thought about Texas and she imagined people riding horses down the street. The more out in the country you are you’ll definitely see that but not usually in the big city. I thought that was kind of funny actually because that’s exactly what I use to do when I was younger. Ride the horse down to the corner store.

Hope you’ll be happy here and enjoy the weather.

~Adrienne

Hi Adrienne,

I am in Fort Worth now. It is a bit chillier than I am used to, but I am adjusting.

So you used to ride a horse to the store? Now that sounds interesting to me, I bet you have some pretty good stories about those days.

3. says

Josh! I’m new to this #teamblogjack thing (and late to the party, too).

I just want to say that change is good! Mr bobwp and I have taken a few of these mighty leaps ourselves. One of them sent me to West Africa. I love being in a place where the culture, people and language are new. (I apply this to Texas with all their y’alls.)

But no condiments? That sounds frightful. Being the Condiment Queen that I am, I would have had to skip dinner.

And I love the way you talk about scheduling the rumpus. By the way, Have you seen the telling of Where the Wild Things Are as read by Christopher Walken. It’s pretty cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKNaYlzssbc

So start a journal if you haven’t already done so. Lots of inspiration for new stories.

Hi Judy,

No worries. West Africa is certainly a bigger change than I had. But Texas is still different nonetheless.

I was too tired to run out for condiments and too hungry not to eat but that situation has since been rectified.

I love that video with Walken, “might be a suicide” only he could say that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And yes, I am busy collecting stories, got more than a few.

4. says

Thanks to all of you you came over to #TeamBlogJack our good friend Josh. I’m just cleaning up the chips and dip and confetti on the floor, and sending you a cold one from the snowbank Bill. ‘Til next time…yay #TeamBlogJack!

And remember…anyone can initiate a #TeamBlogJack, and all are welcome to join in. I’ll set up a google+ community so people can be notified when we descend upon our next recipient (cough, victim). Cheers all! Kaarina

5. Geoff Livingston says

Where the Wild Things Are was my favorite book growing up. You know what? I feel like Max quite frequently…

6. says

You done been jacked, Josh. It is indeed, official.
    Hi! I’m Amber-Lee from Alaska! You moved from CA? With your family…to where, Texas? (Yes, I got lost in all the comments!) I hope you are all settling in well… I am looking forward to spending this snowy day digging into your posts and see if I can find what I have missed! Have a wonderful day!

• says

Hey there Amber-Lee: glad you were able to stop by. Now take care setting those traps.

Josh has moved on his own to pursue a job opportunity in Texas, leaving his family for the moment in LA, so the kids can finish their school year there. Be sure to check this site often: great posts always. Cheers! Kaarina

Hi Amber-Lee,

Yep, made a big move, albeit it is not the same as living out in “I can’t get there except by flying” Alaska, but big for me. Slowly but surely getting settled here.

Do you get lots of snow?

7. says

Hey, Josh. I’m thinking road trip to Texas to join the rumpus and continue the #TeamBlogJack in person. Make sure you find a place with a guest room (a guest house would be suitable as well).

Party @ Josh’s place!

Good luck with the move. :-)

• says

GemJen, you’re absolutely right…you can’t schedule a rumpus. It has to happen organically, when the stars align and the moment’s right. I just hope to find a good way to let people know, because right now the rallying cry needs to be spread over so many platforms. I’m looking for feedback like yours: I’m thinking a google+ community plus tweets, although I did post on facebook as well. I’m happy that many of you have found out about our little rumpus today. Cheers! Kaarina

• says

I found that out the hard way too. Wanted to write only “party on”…wouldn’t let me. I like the spontaneous combustion happening here, but I wonder where Josh is hiding? Do you think we scared him off, haha! No chance…the man’s afraid of nothing:)

Jen,

You are correct about not being able to schedule a rumpus. Although I can neither deny nor confirm having been a part of several rather large ones.

8. MARQUITA HERALD says

Aloha Josh, and thank you Kaarina for inviting me to stop by. Josh I have to tell you your article brought back memories of my last move – from CA to Maui – a very l-o-n-g time ago. I can still picture the crying relatives and friends green with envy. Lately I’ve been thinking maybe my roots are a little too deep – maybe it’s time to shake things up. Look forward to reading more about how you’re settling in to your new home Josh, and to learning more about #TeamBlogJack :-)

• says

Marquita, I’m so glad you stopped by and commented, and welcome to the wonderful world of #TeamBlogJack and my good friend Josh’s blogsite. You live in a beautiful corner of the world Marquita: my husband and I travelled to Hawaii many, many years back, and our favourite spot was Maui. We rented a car, drove and found secluded beaches and drank in the beauty. Have you ever written a post about that move/uprooting? I’d love to read it. Cheers and welcome! Kaarina

Hi Marquita,

Maui is easily one of my favorite islands. I have many good memories from times in Lahaina, Kaanapali and Kihei. I don’t think I have ever had better fish than I have when I have been on the island.

Where in California were you?

9. says

Holy cow, Josh! You moved. I just spent a few minutes going back over the past few blog entries to discover some details. I see you left LA? Right? Well, good luck, Chuck! I wish you the best and hope you find what you need in your new home.

Raise a ruckus (rumpus) whenever you can. It shows you are alive, awake and interested. Cheers sir!

10. says

Welcome to Texas! Texas is the richer now that you’re living here. :)

Odessa, eh? Fun times. I’d drive through there on my way to and from undergrad. I started to skip it, though, by taking backroads. It cut almost an hour from the eight-hour trek between Abilene and El Paso.

11. says

Mark Harai, commentluv wouldn’t let me respond directly to your wonderful description of your beautiful little corner of the world. Loved the “I grab my wife and we grab a glass of wine”…I have an image etched in my mind:) You took me on a wonderful journey, much as Josh has here with his posts. That’s what good storytelling is all about…capturing and captivating the reader’s attention. You’ve done both. Thanks my friend:)

12. says

My first time here…

What the heck is a chicken burger and why would you eat such a thing? [grin]

Moves come with their quandaries. Just made a move, myself. But moves also come with an opportunity to do things different. And dump unneeded luggage. Of all kinds.

#teamblogjack

13. Barrett Rossie says

It’s always great to visit with Josh. Much gratitude to #TeamBlogJack for bringing me back hear. Josh, as it’s been a while, I didn’t know about your adventure. Have to say I’m jealous! Looking forward to backtracking thru your posts and learning more.

I also have to do some homework on Where The Wild Things Are. I had thought that was just a reference to @kdillabough, Julia, Vidya, Ralph, Brian, Adam et al.

14. says

I’m thinkin’ if we know the owner’s elsewhere, like really physically elsewhere, and trying to hold the fort with incredible content…well, it’s time to intercede to rallying cries as per @Kdillabough who is the main culprit in these confines.

So, Kaarina, and Adam and Ralph…how goes it? Having a good Sunday? Liking the snow you all got (except Adam and me, for sure).

Oh, hi, Josh!

15. says

Hi Josh, I love a sense of adventure! I definitely organize my day/life around routine; but I’ve also discovered you can have both routine and the adventure of discovering new places and and beautiful new faces. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I hope we get a chance to chat soon : )

Cheers to a new awesome adventure for you and your family!

• says

I woke up at 5 AM this morning… It’s my favorite time of day! I had a cup of coffee and then went on a two hour hike with my friend, Barry. He’s 70 and in some incredible shape!

This morning we saw two sloths, a red headed woodpecker, several beautiful toucans, a family of white-face monkeys, and two white hawks that live in the area.

It’s a fairly difficult hike, so it’s a great work-out! I typically do it 6 days a week : )

The weather where I live is about 78-79 degrees, year-around. The nights can get a bit cooler, but just enough for a sheet. No blankets necessary.

I’m at about 2000′ elevation on the side of a mountain in the jungle. The ocean is directly out my front door, about 7-8 miles out. The sunsets are to die for.

I always grab my wife and we grab a glass of wine and enjoy God’s wonders. There are never two sunsets alike. They are magical.

I live about 20 minutes from Perez, Zeledon, which the 3rd largest city in Costa Rica, and 20 minutes from Playa Dominical, which is an awesome surfing beach.

I work my butt off, always have… but now I do it with my family close by and in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

It’s an awesome place to wake up everyday and it’s totally amazing to go from quiet to the jungle waking up – WOW!!! Just amazing : )

No complaints here, miss : )

There you have it; a fairly typical day for me in the jungle.

Hi Mark,

After reading your comments I am thinking about moving to Costa Rica. It sounds fantastic, what a great way to live. The hike, coffee, jungle and the rest sound awesome.

It sounds invigorating and rewarding, just very cool.

• says

Good morning, Josh… I often pinch myself when I simply remove my head from out of the computer and just look around.

It would be awesome if I could come over to your place and go exploring around the jungle : )

I’m certain, as creative as you are, you would thrive in the environment. It is invigorating, inspiring, rewarding and just very cool!

Good to hear from you, sir – make it a great day : )

• says

I’m back. It is great to get to hang out with all of you today. You picked a good post for a blogjacking.

It seems there is a common theme among the comments. We all want to be on an adventure. I may have to bust out “On the Road” and give it another read. That always fills me with wanderlust.

• says

Welcome back Brian! I was delighted to find just the site to initiate a #TeamBlogJack, and thank everyone who’s joining in the fun.

Wanderlust indeed…Mark just painted a lovely picture of his day, and Josh is taking us on his journey. Your writing is always a delicious journey Brian. To adventuring!

• says

Brian is busy writing epic novels.

Because of the weather, do you think those in the northern hemisphere make better writers because they can’t always go outside and play like us in the South?

16. says

Ah, Max – now he really knew how to throw a party. He had one heck of a fit before he did, but since you aren’t even letting the condiments get to you too much your rumpus may be different. Let us know if the Wild Things show up – now that would be cool.

17. says

With all that is going on with me, I am trying the “One day at a time” philosophy on for size, Josh. Sometimes it works.

And you, Josh, are a wonderful storyteller. :-)