Name Your Top 5 Movies

Cover of "Indiana Jones and the Raiders o...

Cover via Amazon

Don’t look now but we are still working on building a community here. We do that is by sharing things like 7 Things I Want To Do Before I Die andΒ  by sharing thoughts on The Importance of Creativity.

We ask questions like How Old Should Children Be When They Receive Their First Cellphone? and talk about why we like certain social platforms.

Intermixed among these posts we continue to ask for your input on big questions like How Long Does It Take To Build A Community?

But all work and no play makes for a dull person and a dull blog so let’s mix it up again. I’d like to ask you to share your top five favorite movies. And of course as you loyal servant I will begin. In fact I’ll even up the ante by sharing a few more bits and pieces.

Ready?

1. Mark Twain
  2. J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. George R.R. Martin
  4. Nelson Demille
  5. Stephen Donaldson

Your Turn

You are not obligated to answer any or all of these but we sure would love to see whatever you are willing to share with us.

1. Carolyn September 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

Hi Josh,

Great question. Mine are:

Sliding Doors
    A Simple Plan
    Titanic
    Anything by Hitchcock
    Philadelphia Story

My husband and I are in the process of watching the American Film Institute’s Top 100 movies and enjoying some of the classics.

2. Jens P. Berget August 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I can never do something like that. I watch a lot of movies, and I always end up enjoying some of the new movies I just watched and forget if they’re better or worse than some of my old favorites. Like now, I’ve just watched the latest batman movie and it was awesome and right now it’s one of my top 5 movies of all time, but I doubt that it would make the list if I’d watch all the other movies again πŸ™‚

• Josh September 1, 2012 at 12:08 am

Hi Jens,

I can appreciate that. I expect that if I watched some movies again I would feel like I need to consider whether they belong on the list or not.

Fortunately this sort of list making is simple and has no real impact on anything important. It is just fun.

3. Sandi Amorim August 30, 2012 at 10:48 am

5 Fave Movies:

1. The Sound of Music
    2. Lord of the Rings (all 3, but #1 is fave)
    3. Camille Claudel
    4. Cinema Paradiso
    5. Finding Nemo πŸ™‚

Back later to fill in the rest…

4. Rita Chand August 30, 2012 at 10:12 am

Every now and again, I have to admit, it’s pretty satisfying to answer these types of questions to keep us humble. πŸ™‚

5 Favorite Movies:
    1. The Sound of Music
    2. PS I Love You
    3. Transformers (the 1st one)
    4. Serendipity
    5. Only You

5 Favorite Musical Artists/Bands
    1. Bruce Springsteen
    2. Bon Jovi
    3. Jack Johnson
    4. Van Morrison
    5. Matt Nathanson

5 Favorite Authors
    I read everything and anything, so to pick a favorite would take me forever.

5. Craig McBreen August 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

These always come to the top for me. The only movies I’ve watched more than once:
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Fight Club
    The Pianist
    The Deer Hunter
    Sideways

6. Hajra August 30, 2012 at 8:54 am

I am an Indian – so a few Indian movies, music and authors on my list! I listen to English music – except Charles (not familiar with his music), I am a fan of the rest four mentioned here.

As for movies, the ones from Hollywood that remain favorites are Forrest Gump (basically any movie that has Tom Hanks in it), The Matrix triology, Julie and Julia.

As for books, there are so many I would like to name….

7. Kaarina Dillabough August 30, 2012 at 7:13 am

Favourite movies: Casablanca (yes!)/ Sliding Doors/ Rear Window/ Across the Universe/ The Jane Austen Book Club

Favourite music: anything Beatles, Burton Cummings, Harry Chapin, Roy Orbison

Favourite authors: hmmm…I have favourite books! I picked 13 of them and noted them here http://www.kaarinadillabough.com/my-favourite-books-of-all-time/

Happy to share. Cheers! Kaarina